Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - A Prediction Before Viewing

So if you haven't noticed, there's a new Star Wars film coming out with amazing trailers that look awesome. However, as someone who thoroughly doesn't trust trailers anymore, none of this makes me think that I'm going to see an amazing film Thursday Night (stay tuned for the review!!)

Although I really hope so.



See, that trailer was so good, so damn good, and the amount of artistic integrity and imagination displayed by director J.J. Abrams in the past really gives me more enthusiasm than I normally have. I think Abrams is on the list with Zach Snyder for making really great nerdy films that understand their audience, their desire, and how to make an already established universe connect to those filmgoers.

But, the real fun part of this post is that I have a prediction.

People have been making a humongous deal about where exactly Luke Skywalker is in the trailer. He doesn't seem to reveal himself at all. It's as if he's in hiding for some reason. Unless of course, he isn't.

DISCLAIMER

I want to point out now that I have only read a few non-spoiler articles here and there, and I have only seen the teaser and first trailer. Anything that impacts this theory in the other outlying articles of media attention - clips, foreign trailers - none of it is in my brain. I'm making this prediction entirely from what I know of the Star Wars films.

DISCLAIMER OVER

So... my prediction works in six parts.

1. Luke is a Sith Lord,

This is pretty basic. In the old Extended Universe, Luke Skywalker is depicted as having been influenced by the Dark Side a little bit. He ends the original trilogy as the last living Jedi, although with 1 - 4 Jedi Master spirits hanging out with him, he's still rather alone and entirely responsible for pushing a new order.

However, I think that this journey would lead him to search for something, maybe some history. Which leads me to my next prediction.

2. Because he discovered something about the Old Sith,

Since his Father was a Sith Lord trained by a man who in the films has a relatively bare backstory, I could see the new film serving as both more backstory as well as new universe set-up. Luke, in trying to find the best way to train new Jedi's went on a journey to discover the roots of the philosophy of both sides of the Force, as well as perhaps just what the Force actually is (and I'm not talking about Midichlorians).

Now the truths hidden behind two spiritual orders that are essentially Western and Eastern Philosophy battling would be to discover what we already know from watching the films: neither the Jedi nor the Sith was exactly right. In fact, there's an older, more disturbing truth.

Which leads me to my prediction.

3. He discovered something about the Force that is disturbing

Now, I'm largely basing this off my own theory now, but the subtitle "The Force Awakens" has to be more than just pointing out that there's a new Star Wars film. What does it mean the Force Awakens? Has it been asleep since the end of the original trilogy or has it been asleep for longer?

I'm deciding maybe it's been asleep for longer. And that Luke is defending something he's discovered about it from being found out.

That's the extent of my real sort of thought out theorizing. The rest of this is just for funsies.

4. He's the dad of John Boyega's character

Hey, we don't know what Luke's been up to these years. He didn't have any established lovers in the original trilogy, and what he's gone around and done since then is entirely in the air. He very well could be anyone's Father, but I just think it would be cool to use this twist again. Take it back. Every fantasy story is about significant families nowadays anyway. Why not keep that thrust in?

(Well there's lots of reasons, but I'm having fun, so whatever)

And last but not least.

5. He will say, "I am your Father."

In a shocking and surprising twist that all of us saw coming.

No, but really, I do hope that this new flick is good, and I'll be figuring that out about the time that you're getting into deep REM sleep because I'll be seeing this flick early morning. And by the time you wake up, you'll be able to read exactly what I think about it.

Don't miss my review, and may the force (of good intentions and optimism) be with you.

-----------------

Plug Time!

Did you like this post? If so, consider signing up for the e-mail list so you never miss out on the latest film, tv, music, or video game post from Expository Conundrum! (Hint: It's in the upper right-hand corner of the page!!)

Also, consider donating to the blog! Your eyes are enough, but generosity and support can go a long way to making us both feel a lot better. Support your local artist (by local I mean Internet local.)


And finally, you can hang around the Facebook page or Twitter to keep up on Social Media. This doubles as the easiest way to harass me, but you wouldn’t do that would you?
------

Click on the image below to buy the product reviewed in this post:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished